No doubt you’ve heard of the revival of the Y2K fashion trend. But what exactly is Y2K fashion and how do you wear it?
Read our guide and discover what Y2K fashion is all about including how to dress Y2K, types of Y2K clothing and types of Y2K Jewellery. Find out more today!
What Is Y2K Fashion?
Clothing and accessories from the late '90s and early '00s is known as Y2K fashion.
Fashion during this time was heavily influenced by the millennium’s pop culture, which had moved away from the grunge music of the early ‘90s and instead was awash with boy band ballads, sparkly pop songs and high energy disco. Think Paris Hilton, the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Christina Agulaira, Destiny’s Child, the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC and Steps.
Y2K fashion typically featured bright rainbow colours, kitsch accessories and diamantes as well as contemporary textures such as metallics, shiny plastics and faux fur. The most notorious clothing trends to come from the Y2K fashion movement were low rise jeans and skirts, halter tops, double denim and velour tracksuits.
What Is Y2K Jewellery?
Y2K jewellery, also known as "Millennial jewellery," is a style of jewellery that became popular in the late 1990s and early 2000s. It is characterised as youthful, whimsical, and lighthearted. Y2K jewellery was all about having fun and it often featured colourful, playful, sparkly and flashy accessories in modern materials such as plastic and acrylic.
Popular 2000’s jewellery and accessory pieces often featured butterflies, smiley faces, diamantes, colourful beads, dolphins and shells. Some of the most iconic jewellery designs of the 2000’s included rainbow beaded necklaces, butterfly earrings, heart pendants, friendship bracelets and anklets.
Y2K Fashion Trend 2020’s
It's said that most core trends repeat themselves every 20 - 30 years. So it's no surprise that around 20 years after the millennium, clothing and accessories from the early 2000's are once again popular.
Now more widely known as the Y2K aesthetic, fashion and jewellery from the 2000’s has come back in a big way. Partly influenced by social media and the feeling of nostalgia, clothing and accessories of the 2000’s can be seen everywhere from the catwalk to the highstreet.
While the 2000s were synonymous with glitter and cheesy pop, Y2K fashion trends in the 2020s have a lot more edge. This time around the Y2K aesthetic takes some of its influence from the rave and cyberpunk scene, making for a cooler, more laid back look.
In today’s world, those wearing the Y2K fashion trend are celebrities such as Rihanna, Dua Lipa, Bella Hadid and Hailey Bieber. In addition to celebrity influence, TV shows such as Euphoria have also made the trend popular with Instagram and Tiktok users.
The Y2K aesthetic of today incorporates elements of 90s grunge, glossy makeup, rave culture, and cyberpunk influences. Key features of modern Y2K fashion include:
- Bright, neon colours and bold prints
- Low-rise jeans and baggy pants
- Turtlenecks and crop tops
- Mini skirts and sheer skirts
- Chokers and other statement jewellery
- Platform shoes and boots
- Faux fur and leather jackets
- Sunglasses and other eyewear with bold frames
Whether you’re brand new to Y2K or enjoyed it the first time around, there’s plenty of choice for every taste and style.
How To Dress Y2K?
To dress in a Y2K style, you can try incorporating the following elements into your outfit:
- Halter tops: Halter tops were incredibly popular in the Y2K era and feature a neck band or tie fastening that is secured at the back of the neck
- Babydoll dresses: These flowy, girly dresses were often worn with chunky boots or platform shoes.
- Buckle belts: Add a touch of edginess to your outfit with a belt with large, statement-making buckles.
- Chunky boots: A pair of knee-high or ankle boots with a chunky heel or platform will complete your Y2K look.
- Shiny materials: Metallic fabrics and sequins were common in Y2K fashion, so consider adding texture or a shimmery finish to your look with sequins and metallics
- Low-rise jeans: If you want to go all out with your Y2K style, try pairing a pair of low-rise jeans with a crop top and platform boots.
- Cute Jewellery: If you’re just wanting to dip your toe into the Y2K aesthetic, then jewellery is the perfect place to start. Opt for butterfly jewellery, rainbow beaded necklaces and bracelets, sparkly pendants, chucky chains, anklets and friendship bracelets.
Types Of Y2K Jewellery
There are lots of different types of jewellery and accessories that were popular in the 2000’s including beaded bracelets, chokers, gemstone jewellery, anklets, belly button rings, friendship bracelets, toe rings and more.
- Pendant Necklaces: We offer a range of pendant necklaces featuring a variety of Y2K inspired charms including smiley faces, butterflies, cubic zirconia gemstones and symbols of love, hope and peace.
- Beaded Necklaces: Beaded necklaces are one of the most iconic Y2K necklaces from the era. We offer a range of beaded necklaces in a variety of bright rainbow colours and pastels for a fun and playful finish.
- Gemstone Necklaces: Birthstone and gemstone necklaces are just as popular now as they were in the late 90s and early 00s. We offer a range of gemstone necklaces including pendants and multi charm necklaces.
- Chain Necklaces: Chain necklaces are great for layering and we offer a gorgeous range of delicate and chunky chain style. Whether you wear yours solo or layer them up with your other favourite Y2K necklaces, our chain necklaces are sure to become your new go to favourites.
- Stud Earrings: Stud earrings were incredibly popular in the 2000’s and our range of studs is no exception. We offer a range of gorgeous studs featuring iconic Y2K charms such as butterflies, flowers, stars, hearts and rainbows.
- Hoop Earrings: Take inspiration from the likes of Missy Elliott with our collection of hoop earrings. Perfect for creating a statement look, we offer both silver and gold plated hoops.
- Ear Cuffs: Add an edgy finish to your Y2K look with our range of ear cuffs including beaded ear cuffs, pearl ear cuffs, gemstone ear cuffs and double illusion ear cuffs.
- Earring Stacking Sets: The Y2K aesthetic is all about creating an eclectic look and our earring sets are the ultimate way of achieving a stylish ear stack. Choose from silver and gold plated earrings stacking sets.
- Gemstone Earrings: Add a pop of colour to your earring collection, with our stunning range of gemstone earrings. Featuring studs, hoops, drop earrings, stacking sets and more.
- Bangles: Create the ultimate Y2K Bracelet stack with our collection of silver and gold plated bangles. Perfect for day to night styling, our bangles can be worn all year round.
- Friendship bracelets: Possibly one of the most stand out pieces from the Y2K jewellery trend is the friendship bracelet. Symbolising love and respect, we offer a vast range of friendship bracelets including Y2K and contemporary styles.
- Chain Bracelets: Embrace the Y2K look with our range of chain bracelets. Featuring playful charms and gemstones, our chain bracelets will add the perfect finishing touch to your look.
- Beaded Bracelets: Keep your Y2K aesthetic fun and playful with our range of beaded bracelets. Available in a range of styles including pearls, rainbow beads, pastels beads and gemstone beads.
- Gemstone Bracelets: Adorn your wrist with our stylish collection of gemstone bracelets. Ideal for creating a fun Y2K aesthetic, our gemstone bracelets can be styled with almost anything.
How To Style Y2K Jewellery
Here’s our top tips on styling your Y2K jewellery:
- Pair a chunky, statement necklace with a simple, solid-coloured top or dress. This will allow the necklace to stand out and be the focus of the outfit.
- Layer multiple thin, dainty chains for a trendy, Y2K vibe. Mix and match different lengths and styles to create a unique, eclectic look.
- Mix and match different materials such as metal, plastic, and fabric. Y2K fashion is all about bold and eclectic mixes, so don't be afraid to experiment with different textures and materials.
- Incorporate Y2K-inspired hair accessories, such as butterfly clips, scrunchies, and headbands, to complete the look.
- If you're feeling extra daring, try pairing your Y2K jewellery with a graphic, patterned outfit. This will add an extra pop of colour and personality to your outfit.
- Don't be afraid to mix and match different styles and trends. Y2K fashion is all about having fun and expressing your unique style, so feel free to mix in other trends, such as vintage or streetwear, to create a truly one-of-a-kind look.