Silver plated jewellery adds a stunning touch of sparkle and glamour to any outfit. From silver earrings for everyday wear to statement silver pendants that create a dazzling evening look, silver jewellery is as versatile as it is effortless to wear. However if not cared for properly, over time it can begin to lose its shine. There’s no reason that your Estella Bartlett jewellery can’t last a lifetime and with a little love and care you can keep your silver jewellery shining bright. Find out how to properly care for and clean silver plated jewellery.
Why does silver plated jewellery tarnish?
Not only is silver plated jewellery charming and can be worn by all but it also adds a touch of shimmer and luster to any outfit. However over time it tends to lose its sheen and become slightly tarnished. This happens when the silver reacts with moisture and air leading it to oxidize. As dust, oil and dirt accumulates on to the silver plating, the jewellery begins to dull or appear darkened. To restore silver plated jewellery to its original shine, the jewellery needs to be properly cleaned and taken care of. This can be achieved by using a variety of household items.
How to clean silver plated jewellery
There are several ways to clean silver plated jewellery, all of which can be carried out at home. From a light sprucing to a deep clean, our handy guide will show you how to carefully and properly clean your silver plated jewellery.
Soap and Water
If your silver plated jewellery is starting to look a little lackluster then a light clean with soap and water will help restore some of its shine.
- Mix a mild liquid soap and warm water in a bowl to create a foamy solution. Place the jewellery in the water and leave for several minutes.
- Take the jewellery out of the water and use a soft cloth to rub the items, taking care to wipe all surface areas.. If the jewelry has lots of small details and engravings then use a soft bristled toothbrush to clean any hard to reach areas.
- Once the dirt has been removed, rinse the items in warm water
- Wipe with a lint free cloth and be sure each piece is thoroughly dried before storing in a jewellery box.
Jewellery Polishing Cloth
Your silver plated jewellery may just need a little bit of TLC to get it back to its former glory. If that’s the case then a gentle polish with a jewellery cloth should do the trick.
- Use a quality jewellery polish cleaning cloth that will remove dirt and tarnish as well as give the pieces their shine back.
- Be sure to be gentle when polishing the jewellery by wiping instead of scrubbing.
- Buff your jewellery in between deeper cleans to maintain its shine.
Aluminium Foil and Baking Soda
This deep clean method is perfect for silver plated jewellery that is heavily tarnished. It will work wonders in restoring its brilliance and removing severe cases of tarnish. Not only that but this method is gentle on the silver plating because it doesn’t require abrasive contact with the jewellery. The chemical reaction between the solution and the jewellery will remove any tarnish whilst not being harsh on the silver plating.
- Line a glass bowl with aluminium foil. Make sure the shiny side of the foil is facing upwards
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of salt to the bowl.
- Add enough hot water to the bowl so that the powders dissolve and ensure that there is enough of the solution to fully submerge your jewellery.
- Submerge your silver plated jewellery in the solution and leave for several minutes
- You’ll begin to notice black and yellow flakes float away from the jewellery. This is the sulfur, which is what caused the oxidation of the silver in the first place. These flakes will be attracted to the aluminium and will float towards it.
- Once the tarnish has mostly come off the silver plating, remove the jewellery from the bowl and rub with a lint free cloth.
- Rinse the silver-plated items in warm running water and dry thoroughly with a lint-free cloth.
How to store silver plated jewellery
Once your jewellery is perfectly clean be sure to carefully store your jewellery in a safe place. A jewellery box is the perfect home to store your silver plated jewellery and we offer a variety of jewellery boxes for earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Whether you have lots of jewellery or are after something ideal for travelling our jewellery boxes will ensure your jewellery remains tangle free. From mini jewellery boxes and large square jewellery boxes to tiny jewellery boxes ideal for travel, you’re sure to find the perfect place to store your silver plated jewellery. For more jewellery storage ideas, read our blog post How To Store Jewellery and Jewellery Organisation Ideas