Layering necklaces refers to wearing multiple necklaces at the same time, layered on top of each other. They can vary in size, shape, material, and design, but the idea is to layer and mix different necklace styles to create a unique and curated look.
Layered necklaces are incredibly on trend right now as they allow the wearer to express their individuality and the endless style combinations also means that you can create multiple looks out of the jewellery in your collection.
But how do you create a layered necklace look that represents your style and compliments your outfit? Read our how to layer necklaces guide and discover everything you need to know about the hottest stacking necklaces trend.
What Are Layered Necklaces?
Layered necklaces are multiple chains and pendants worn together at once. The idea is to combine necklaces of different lengths, styles, textures, and materials to create a stacked and curated look.
Some layered necklaces are joined together with a single clasp whereas others are individual necklaces that have been bought separately or in a pack.
What Type Of Necklaces Can Be Used For Layering Necklaces?
Almost any kind of necklace can be worn when layering necklaces including chains, pendants, gemstone necklaces and chokers. However, when choosing the types of necklaces to include in your layered look, you may want to consider what will best match your style and outfit.
Find out more about the different types of necklaces we offer that can be worn in a necklace stack:
- Silver Plated Necklaces: All of our silver necklaces are made from a base metal and then coated in pure silver plating. This ensures that you get to wear the most on trend and timeless jewellery at the most affordable price.
- Gold Plated Necklaces: All of our gold necklaces are made from a base metal and then coated in pure gold plating. This ensures that you get to wear the most on trend and timeless jewellery at the most affordable price.
- Initial Necklaces: Express yourself by wearing your initials, the initials of a loved one or your favourite letter on your jewellery with our range of initial necklaces.
- Personalised Necklaces: Create your own personalised necklace by selecting your favourite chain and combination of charms. To make your necklace even more unique, add free engraving to selected charms.
- Gemstone Necklaces: For those who love the sparkle of gemstones, our gemstone necklaces and birthstone necklaces are a must-have. With a vast selection of semi-precious stones, including Cubic Zirconia, Agate, Quartz, Faux Pearls, Amazonite, and more, there's something for everyone in our collection.
How Many Necklaces Should Be Worn At Once?
The number of necklaces you choose to wear at once is entirely up to your personal preference and the look you want to achieve. There is no set rule on how many necklaces you should wear when layering. Some people prefer a more minimalist approach and may opt for two or three necklaces, while others enjoy a bolder look and may layer five or more necklaces.
How To Layer Necklaces Without Tangling
Wearing multiple necklaces at once can potentially cause them to get tangled, but there are a few things you can do to prevent them from becoming tangled. Here’s our top tips on how to layer necklaces without tangling:
- Select necklaces with different chain thicknesses and styles. Chains with varying textures, such as delicate, smooth, or textured chains, will be less likely to catch and tangle with each other.
- Opt for necklaces with distinct lengths when layering. This ensures that each necklace has enough space to hang freely without overlapping or entangling with the others.
- Make sure your necklaces are knot-free before putting them on by storing them in a jewellery box to avoid tangles.
- Layer weightier necklaces on top of lighter chains to hold them securely in place. This will stop the smaller ones moving too much and becoming tangled.
How To Layer Necklaces
Necklaces are a great way to add some style and personality to your outfit. Whether you prefer delicate and dainty or bold and chunky, stacking necklaces is a fun and easy way to create a unique look. But with so many different styles to choose from, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are our top tips on how to layer necklaces.
Less Is More
When it comes to layering necklaces, we recommend sticking to the less is more rule and to keep things simple. While you can choose to layer as many necklaces as your heart desires, our preferred layered look includes only two or three. For an elegant finish, opt for two or three dainty chains or for a more statement look, choose two to three chunkier styles that will effortlessly complement each other.
Choose Varying Chain Lengths
The crucial element of a well layered set of necklaces is varying chain lengths. Staggering your chain lengths allows each individual necklace to shine, creating depth and texture to your outfit. Starting with your shortest chain, layer two or three necklaces, and adjust the spacing between them until you are satisfied with the overall look. Once you’ve tried spacing each necklace equally, adjust their lengths and see if you prefer your layered necklace look with varying spaces. There are really no wrong answers here – the layering look of your dreams is sure to be unique to you.
Consider Your Metal Colour
Do you love to mix and match your silvers with your golds, or are you a jewellery purist, who decides on a single look and commits to it? Follow whatever rules you have set for yourself, and layer your necklaces accordingly. If you’re unsure where to start, we suggest picking a single metal colour, and choosing necklaces that you feel will complement each other when they’re hanging out together around your neck.
Mix and Match
The key to achieving an effortlessly chic look is to mix and match necklaces of different textures, metals, and styles. Combine delicate chains with chunkier statement pieces or experiment with different pendant shapes and sizes. Don't be afraid to incorporate beads, gemstones, or charms to add visual interest and personalise your layered necklace arrangement.
Play With Pendants
Pendants, symbols and charms are a great way of showcasing your style, and a statement pendant is the ideal way to make your outfit stand out in a crowd. Choose pieces that reflect your style, and don’t be afraid to wear multiple charms that express your personality. Wearing a selection of gemstones, chains and pendants will create an artful design and will make even the most simple of outfits stand out.
Experiment With Colour
Colour is an important factor to consider when layering necklaces. If you're wearing a colourful outfit, you may wish to stick to neutral necklaces to avoid clashing such as silver necklaces and gold necklaces. Alternatively, if you want to make your outfit more vibrant, rainbow necklaces and gemstone necklaces can be a great way of adding colour.
Start Layering Your Necklaces Today!
Now that you know how to layer necklaces, why not add some new necklaces to your jewellery collection. Here at Estella Bartlett, we offer a huge range of silver and gold plated necklaces, chains and pendants that are perfect for creating a layered look.
Whether you’re wanting to create an everyday layered look or have your eye on something a little more statement, there’s something for every taste and style in our collection. Shop necklaces today!